Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Harry Potter Cake???

Last month was Dylan's 9th birthday (yeah..I'm a little behind). We actually had a small get together with just family for some cake and presents a few days before his big bash. Here's cake #1 that I made for him...
So...a while back I guess I told Dylan he could have a slumber party for his birthday and invite a few friends. He immediately decided that it should be a Harry Potter theme party. Dylan has read all 7 books (which is not very normal for an 8 year old) and I had to remind him that most kids at his party would not yet be familiar with Harry Potter but...that did not deter him. He had 5 friends over plus his 2 brothers. So that would be 7 little boys running amuck in my house!!!! For those of you that have been to our house you know that it is very conducive to running laps and that's exactly what they wanted to do the whole time! We had to continually try to break up the madness with games and activities. A few parties back I discovered the best "quiet" activity....I printed some Harry Potter worksheets, word searches, mazes, etc..and they all just sit there like they're in school. It's awesome! (As you can see Dylan's cousin Jake was not too into the worksheet thing) We also had a "pin the glasses on Harry" game, some crafts, and movies in between the running around playing tag, wrestling, etc.. They took a break to open presents... So when Dylan decided he wanted a Harry Potter birthday I thought to myself...how in the world am I going to make a Harry Potter cake??? Dylan offered many suggestions of what I could put on the cake quoting all kinds of foreign words to me that only a Harry Potter fan would know (which I am not!!). I finally just took one of the covers from his books to copy and free handed it. When I was finished I was pretty proud of my creation... Happy 9 years!!! After cake it was time to "STAY IN BED and watch your movie!!!" time. Not an easy task with 7 little boys. I think Jake came into the living room at least half a dozen times after 1o:30pm begging aunt Jo for some more cake.
Well after Mark and I having to get out of bed to tell the boys to be quiet and go to bed at least half a dozen times I think they finally fell asleep about 12:30ish. We finished off the morning with some donuts and of course more running around in circles at high speeds. Thankfully we only ended up with one injury which was Tryg getting knocked down in one of the chase sessions....and he's pretty used to that stuff living with 2 older brothers.
So...I think Mark and I are done with the whole slumber party thing. Don't get me wrong...they were as good as 7 little boys could realistically be...we're just getting too old for this stuff!!!
Just a few things about our little 9 year old...
  • He reads huge novels in about the time it takes me to read a few chapters and often gets in trouble at school for reading when he's not supposed to
  • He's a total perfectionist (wonder where he gets that one? :))
  • He enjoys writing his own comic books and has written some very creative stories
  • He's a great big brother...always wrestling, reading to them and putting up with the crazies
  • I never have to help him with his homework
  • He likes camping, golf, baseball and is becoming a natural at the piano.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYLAN!!!

10 comments:

  1. Ha- that first picture with Jake in the background is awesome! I love that he is such a big part of this post. :)And you are definitely the coolest aunt for having sleepovers and making awesome cakes. I love that Dylan and Jake are becoming the best of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it funny how in the NEF family, a camera means make a goofy face? has anyone else noticed this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. and jo, what is harry potter holding in that cake? apparently harry potter is a pyro, because it looks like he is holding what would be termed in our family as a "clicker dicker" fire starter thing...please explain...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted... c'mon! I don't read Harry Potter:) Dylan could tell you the official name. I copied it from an official Harry Potter picture. It's some kind of magic wand thing...not a clicker dicker :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post to read! I am tired just thikinbg about it. Great cake-as usual. Great picture of Dylan-he is looking so old. Great straight teeth-yea! I want to hear him play the piano! Great aunt to have a slumber party. They are only that age once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexis is a big reader too! I am amazed at how fast she reads...we quizzed her on a book b/c we thought there is no way she is retaining anything...she passed! Happy Birthday Dylan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the cake and I assumed the clicker dicker was a wand????? Anyways it was fun to read :) I'm all for parties just not slumber parties. Figured that out after having eight 13 year olds here overnight
    ..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice cake...and how nice that you don't have to help with homework? i'm not so sure my kids will even have the option of asking me for help...doubt i'll remember anything besides basic adding and subtracting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cake!! Sounds like a fun night. You are such a nice mom to have slumber parties - I think we have made a new rule - no one can spend the night at our house but we will happily ship our kids to their homes! :) I haven't told the kids yet - pray for me that I will survive that discussion - I think they will be pretty mad. We've had quite a few and I think I have had my fill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah! Since when was Dylan 9!!!!! It seems like just yesterday he was 4!!!!!!! Love the Cake!!!!!! Happy late B-Day Dylan!!!

    ReplyDelete