Wednesday, May 26, 2010

71 and going strong

Can you believe my dad is 71? Many of you know that he had a 6 (not sure what they call that many...quadruple +2?) bypass heart surgery last fall. For those of you that know my Dad, you know that this is a guy who is in pretty good shape so it was definitely a big shock for all of us when we were told that he was going to be having open heart surgery. I hated the idea of my Dad laying on an operating table with his chest cracked open while they stopped his heart so they could fix it (crazy what they can do these days). Well...as you can see, he's made a full recovery.

Last weekend the hospital where he had the surgery had a 5k run for past cardiac patients. There was over 300 participants and my 71 year old dad took 1st place in his age division! He has been doing these 5k's for years and ever since I can remember he would always say..."if I could just make it to the next age division and keep my pace I know I would get some of those awards!" Needless to say, they always seemed to elude him...but not this time (and yes, there was more than 2 people in his age division :)). Way to go Dad!!! Must be those new pipes :)

Here he is with his cardiac surgeon...

Ever since I was about 12 years old and had to run the mile in middle school my Dad was always there giving me advice, the latest research on how to get faster and at every race cheering me on. Running is special to both of us and I'm glad he can still do it. He is definitely an inspiration to all of us. What's next? The Dipsea, a half marathon? Guess we'll have to wait and see. GO DAD!!!!

10 comments:

  1. you know why Dad is the coolest? cuz he is running in short shorts and SHADES and it is a cloudy 38 degrees out there and 8 in the morning! love it.

    GREAT POST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so very awesome! Way to go Bishop Cox! (even though it's been 5 years since he was my bishop:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup Dad is the coolest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently I pushed some button above...oops. I would like to add that I took all those pictures in came in the cold. And yes, the shorts are what make Dad, Dad. And to answer the question of what a six bypass would be called. After some research, if your following the triple, quadruple latin based form, it would be a sextuple bypass. And that just sounds embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Jo. Great pictures Ken. Funny comment Kenny. PS Jo--cute Yosemite picture of you and Mark. And good old Mom is always three cheering him on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... I just realized I have the greatest grandpa a girl could ask for! <3 Great job grandpa xoxoxox :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i shoulda read the comments before I went on a google crusade to find out what a six bypass surgery was called -- sextuple. ken beat me to it. Stupid brother, cool dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 7 bypasses? septuple bypass. take that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always loved the Cox family and anyone I had the pleasure of meeting. Many a times did the family save me, whether I was bored, needed tv watching buddies, or needed a ride to school after dislocating my knee cap. Joanne, you are doing great as a blogger. I've always seen you take on anything, and just do your best. Although our lives take different directions, your family and anyone associated with you will always be my extended family. I do have to say that you all look amazing..and mom and dad? You do not look any older since leaving Cypress. I better swing into action, if I want to look that good LOL Love you all!

    ReplyDelete